In the 1870s, a group of Pittsburgh gentlemen, mostly of British heritage, laid the foundation for what has endured to be the oldest sports club in Western Pennsylvania. At the time, cricket was a significant aspect of British culture in this country and increased in popularity in the post-Civil War period, while the sport of golf had yet to experience its boom. Therefore, the men formed the Pittsburgh Cricket Club, which was the early predecessor of what we now know at the Pittsburgh Field Club. The Cricket Club was chartered on April 1, 1882, and the date has long been considered the Field Club's birthday.
The cricket grounds were established in the borough of Brushton, adjacent to the eastern border of the city of Pittsburgh, at a location known as Park Place in the region of Forbes Street and Braddock Avenue. Brushton was later annexed by Pittsburgh, and this area became known as the Homewood-Brushton section of the city.
In addition to cricket, sporting activities at the club included archery, croquet, tennis, track and field and bicycling. By 1895, however, interest in cricket was fading, and three rudimentary golf holes were constructed on the cricket grounds, making it second only to Allegheny Country Club in the establishment of a golf course in Western Pennsylvania. In 1886, the Cricket Club was reorganized, and the name changed to the Pittsburgh Field Club. Additional holes were created in ensuing years so that by the turn of the century, the club featured a nine-hole course. As the new century began, the popularity of golf exploded nationally and locally, while interest in cricket continued to decline.
Expansion was inevitable, and in 1915, the club moved to its new home in the Fox Chapel area of O'Hara Township, where it purchased a 171-acre tract of land in what was then a sparsely populated rural location. Alexander H. Findlay, known as the father of American golf, voluntarily designed the new 18-hole golf course. Soon after, five holes underwent Donald Ross revisions. The renovations continued through time, with a parade of course architects -- Albert (A.W.) Tillinghast, Willie Park Jr., Emil Loeffler and John McGlynn, Bill Irvin, Robert Trent Jones, Arthur Hills, Craig Schreiner and Tripp Davis -- playing a major role in the course's evolution.
The original clubhouse on the hilltop burned down in 1924, and the present one was completed in 1925. Major modifications were started in 1959 and have continued since then, with a steady stream of grounds and building improvements and additions enhancing the facilities available for multiple programs.
While golf may be the dominant club activity, social and family aspects have been equally important ever since the inception of the Cricket Club. An array of other activities meets the diverse wants and needs of all members and their many guests. Such activities include tennis, swimming, platform (paddle) tennis, skeet shooting, fishing, bowling and duplicate bridge.
The beauty of the grounds, the elegance of the stately clubhouse and the warmth of associations with members and friends permeates the daily life and traditions of this most gracious club. At the Field Club relaxation, recreation and good living can be enjoyed to the fullest.
Dress Code Rules
We ask that you to adhere to our dress code policy while you are visitng-Thank you!
Dress regulations for adults and teenagers are as follows:
*Dungarees, jeans and short-shorts will not be permitted anywhere in or around the clubhouse, porches or golf course at any time. Blue jeans that are not tattered and torn are permitted as acceptable dress only at 1882 and skeet hut during the winter season.
*Clubhouse dining areas: grill room-informal, club room-formal dining-jacket required, porch & terrace-informal; slacks, sweaters, golf and tennis attire.
*Caps and visors are not to be worn anywhere in the clubhouse.
*Meeting and banquet rooms – until 5 p.m. – Informal; slacks, sweaters and sportswear.
*Meeting and banquet rooms – after 5 p.m. – Sport coats (tie optional), slacks, sweaters with collared shirt for men and boys; comparable attire for ladies and girls.
*1882 - Informal at all times - Slacks, sweaters, sportswear. Blue jeans that are not tattered or torn are permitted as acceptable dress in 1882 only from Sept. - May.
*Skeet hut - informal at all times. Blue jeans are permitted.
*Golf Course - Sport shirts and slacks or shorts no more than 5" above knee for men and boys, shorts and golf skirts may be no more than 5" above the knee for women and girls. At no time are tank-type shirts, mini skirts, sweatpants, silk screened t-shirts, cargo style shorts/slacks with tattered external pockets, dungarees or jeans permitted. All shirts must be tucked in unless designed to be worn outside clothing. For the safety of all golfers, shoes must be worn at all times while on the golf course. Golf shoes with metal spikes are prohibited on the golf course and on the practice areas.
*Any questions please inquire at the front desk 412-963-8500.
*The Pittsburgh Field Club is a smoke free facility.
*In an attempt to value every member, the House Committee has selected areas for smoking, please inquire at the front desk.